Tuesday 22 February 2011

The Fossil Collection

The drawing I worked from


Phacops strenbergi wallpaper 53cmx53cm repeat


Phacops strenbergi Wallpaper


Phacops strenbergi in 2nd colour way

Last week in college I started a collection of wallpaper designs based on my pen and ink drawings of fossils such as ammonites and trilobites. The first one featured Phacops strenbergi, a fossil trilobite that is curled up instead of flat. These are found in Europe and date back to the Devonian period. They are an extinct division of Arthropods which date back even earlier to Pre-Cambrian times. I restricted the imagery to just this one fossil but took the opportunity to experiment with geometric shapes filled with texture for which I had to learn about razterising. I loved the A1 print and so have been inspired to try more shapes. Watch out for my next one featuring an octagon!

No comments:

Post a Comment