Friday, 28 January 2011

Digital Print

Two fabrics from my Botanical Range being
digitally printed

Printer jammed and caused colour to change!

Two more Botanical designs printed but
waiting to be steamed
The new Marine Collection - a bonus
A day digitally printing is far more stressful than teaching any Year 9 class ever! Moreover it doesn't end with the printing, it then has to be steamed and washed and as recent past experiences have taught me disaster can strike at any time!

Yesterday I planned to print 4 samples, two at a time, each 60cm x 100cm.  The first run on the morning got off to a bad start with the fabric jamming about 30cm into the print (about 25mins).The next attempt went without a hitch and so my optimism saw new heights by after lunch only to find the same thing happened. Ugh! There was nothing for it but to take a deep breath and start again. An hour and a half later the next 2 were completed so Vicky suggested that I went for it and printed the first two fabrics from the new Marine Collection so that is what I did.

I was delighted to get this far but the next step was to steam all 6 pieces and sit back and await the outcome. Strange things can happen and they did. My monochrome Jellyfish design developed areas of a wonderful lilac (formally grey!) but disappointingly it had also picked up a bit of discolouration in places presumably from the backing cloth.

Now all that is left for me to do is wash them successfully - Colour Catchers at the ready.


  1. Lovely- your popping these out fast! :) x

  2. I am definately going to have to redecorate my dining room! :o)
    Amazing fabric designs!